Give this fool-proof roasted chicken a try this weekend! All you got to do is put the ingredients together and let the oven do most of the work. Get the ingredients fresh & easy right here at HERO MARKET.
1 whole chicken
2 medium onions
2 sticks celery
1 bulb garlic
1 bunch of fresh mixed herbs, such as, thyme, rosemary, bay or sage
1. Remove the chicken from the fridge 30 minutes before you want to cook it, to let it come up to room temperature.
2. Preheat the oven to 240Â°C.
3. Wash and roughly chop the vegetables â€“ thereâ€™s no need to peel them. Break the garlic bulb into cloves, leaving them unpeeled.
4. Pile all the veg, garlic and herbs into the middle of a large roasting tray and drizzle with oil.
5. Drizzle the chicken with oil and season well with sea salt and black pepper, then rub all over the bird. Place the chicken on top of the vegetables.
6. Carefully prick the lemon all over, using the tip of a sharp knife (if you have a microwave, you could pop the lemon in these for 40 seconds at this point as this will really bring out the flavour). Put the lemon inside the chickenâ€™s cavity, with the bunch of herbs.
7. Place the tray in the oven, then turn the heat down immediately to 200Â°C and cook for 1 hour 20 minutes.
8. Baste the chicken halfway through cooking and if the veg look dry, add a splash of water to the tray to stop them from burning.
9. When the chicken is cooked, take the tray out of the oven and transfer the chicken to a board to rest for 15 minutes or so. Cover it with a layer of tin foil and a tea towel and leave aside.
This amazing recipe is adapted fromwww.jamieoliver.com