Try this Penang Hokkien Prawn Noodle recipe for that extra flavour & ommmmph in your soup! You’ll love it!
450g shrimps (shell on) (450g)
5 tbsp vegetable oil
8 shallots or 1 large onion, peeled and finely sliced
8 shallots or 1 large onion, peeled and blended
4 tbsp chili paste
Salt to taste
2 tbsp fish sauce
340g bean sprouts
450g fresh yellow noodles
1. Peel shrimps, reserving the shell. Do not discard. Pat dry with paper towels.
2. Fill the pot with 10 cups (2.4 liters) of water. Bring it to a boil then lower heat.
3. Heat 4 tablespoons vegetable oil in a medium sized pan. Add sliced shallots and fry until fragrant and golden brown in color, about 5 minutes. Remove with strainer and set aside.
4. Add blended onion and fry for about 3 minutes. Add chili paste and continue to fry for another 2 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl.
5. Add remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil into the same pan. Add shrimp shells and fry until shells turn pink, about 3 minutes. Remove and allow fried shrimp shells to cool slightly. Blend the shells in a food processor until fine. Transfer to a filter bag.
6. Place filter bag and 2 tablespoons of cooked chili paste (keep the remaining as condiment) to the soup. Season with salt and allow soup to simmer for 1½ hours.
7. Fill a separate pot half full of water. Bring to a boil. Scald bean sprouts for about 20 seconds. Remove with a metal strainer. Do the same for water spinach. Discard water.