EASY HOMEMADE STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE
Looking for the perfect dessert recipe for fresh summer strawberries! Try making Strawberry Shortcake Cake! It is an easy twist on the classic dessert with layers of delicious biscuits, juicy strawberries, and fluffy whipped cream!
Strawberries + Whipped Cream
- 6–7 cups of quartered strawberries
- 1/4 cup + 2tbsp of granulated sugar, divided
- 1 tsp of pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp of baking powder
- 1 tsp of salt
- 3/4 cup of unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 1 cup of cold buttermilk
- 2 tbsp of heavy cream or buttermilk
- Coarse sugar, for sprinkling
- Start with the strawberries by stirring the strawberries and 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar together in a large bowl. Cover and set in the refrigerator until ready to use. This time allows the strawberries to release their delicious juices.
- To make the biscuits, start by reheating the oven to 218°C. Then, mix the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl. Whisk or pulse until combined. Next, add the cubed butter and cut into the dry ingredients with a pastry cutter or by pulsing several times in the processor. Pulse until coarse crumbs form.
- Next, pour buttermilk on top. Fold everything together with a large spoon or rubber spatula until it begins to come together. Do not overwork the dough. The dough will be shaggy and crumbly with some wet spots. Pour the dough and any dough crumbles onto a floured work surface and gently bring together with generously floured hands. Using floured hands or a floured rolling pin, flatten into a 1/2 inch thick rectangle as best you can. Cut into 2.75 or 3-inch circles with a biscuit cutter. Re-roll any scraps until you have 10-12 biscuits
- Arrange in an iron skillet or close together on a parchment paper or silicone baking mat lined baking sheet. Make sure the biscuits are touching.
- Then, brush the tops of the biscuits with 2 tablespoons of heavy cream or buttermilk and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown on top. Once bake, remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before assembling.
- Make the whipped cream by using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Beat the heavy cream, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, and vanilla on medium-high speed until soft-medium peaks form, about 3 minutes.
- Then, slice the biscuits in half and layer with strawberries and whipped cream. Serve immediately.
Recipe inspired by Sally's Baking Addiction.