HEALTHY AND DELICIOUS VEGETARIAN TIKKA MASALA
Enjoy authentic Indian flavors with this Healthy Chickpea Tikka Masala recipe. Like any good bowl of tikka masala, this recipe greets you with a rich-tasting sauce bursting with warm spices that linger on your tongue.
- 2 tbsp of ghee or olive oil
- 1 large diced yellow onion
- 1 tbsp of peeled and finely chopped fresh ginger
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 2 tbsp of garam masala
- 2 tbsp of ground coriander
- 1 tsp of paprika
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp of kosher salt
- 2 tbsp of tomato paste
- 1 small head cauliflower cut into bite-size florets
- 3 - 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup of vegetable broth
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- 1 cup of unsweetened full-fat coconut milk
- Heat the ghee or oil in a pan until shimmering. Then, add the onion, ginger, and garlic and stir to coat.
- Next, add the garam masala, coriander, paprika, cayenne, and salt and cook. Stir occasionally, until the onion is softened, about 10 minutes. Add the tomato paste, stir to coat the aromatics, and cook for 1 minute.
- Then, add the cauliflower and carrots and stir well to coat with spices. Add the tomatoes and broth and stir to combine, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of the bottom of the pan and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the vegetables are just tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Stir in the peas and cream and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve over basmati rice and top with cilantro.
Inspired by Kelli Foster from thekitchn.com