INDONESIAN AYAM PENYET RECIPE
A classic Indonesian dish we all love. After a bite of this delicious Ayam Penyet, we knew we had to share this recipe with you!
4 boneless chicken thighs
2 curry leaves
5 cloves garlic
1/2 teaspoon coriander
3 cm ginger
3 cm galangal
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
Oil for frying
10 red chillies
1 teaspoon shrimp paste
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 small limes
1 bunch lemon basil
- Combine garlic, coriander, ginger, galangal, 1 shallot and 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt and make them into paste in a mortar and pestle.
- In a pot, combine chicken with paste, curry leaves and 300ml water then boil until chicken is tender. Meanwhile, heat the frying pan with oil.
- Once the chicken is fully boiled, fry the chicken in the frying pan until it's golden brown.
- To make the sambal (chilli sauce): Heat up 1 teaspoon of oil and cook remaining 2 shallots, tomato and red chillies for 2 minutes. In mortar and pestle, combine shallots, tomato and red chillies with shrimp paste, 1/2 teaspoon salt, dash of sugar, limes and lemon basil then pound until it forms a paste.
- In a serving plate, place the sambal (chilli sauce) at the bottom of the plate and place the fried chicken on top of the dish.
This special recipe is adapted from www.allrecipes.com.au