THAI BASIL CHICKEN RECIPE (PAD KRA PAO)
Try this delicious and most beloved Thai street dish of all time - Pad Kra Pao or the Stir-fry Thai Basil Chicken.
- 5-10 Thai chilies, or to taste
- 5 clovesof garlic
- 1 red chili, chopped
- ½ cupof long beans, cut into short pieces
- ½ small onion, diced
- 300g of chicken, coarsely ground
- 1 tbspof oyster sauce
- 1 tbspof soy sauce
- 2 tsp of fish sauce
- 1½ tsp of black soy sauce
- 2tbsp of water
- 1 ½ tspof sugar
- 1 ½ cup of holy basil leaves
- Vegetable oil
- Firstly, pound Thai chilies into a fine paste. Then, add the garlic and spur chilies and pound into a rough paste.
- In a separate bowl, combine oyster sauce, soy sauce, fish sauce, black soy sauce, water and sugar; stir the mixture to dissolve the sugar.
- Next, in a wok or a large saute pan, saute the garlic-chili paste in a little vegetable oil over medium-high heat until the garlic starts to turn golden.
- Then, add chicken into the wok and toss until they're no longer in big clumps. Once done, add the sauce and continue tossing until the chicken is almost cooked.
- Add onions and long beans and continue tossing until the chicken is done.
- Remove from heat and stir in the holy basil.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
Recipe inspired by Pailin Chongchitnant from hot-thai-kitchen.com